- Thresholds for hypoglycemia and hyperglycemia remain poorly defined and may vary depending on comorbid conditions and impaired metabolic adaptations.
- Glycemic levels should be maintained within the broadly accepted physiologic ranges during the early postnatal period in neonates with NE.
- Hypoglycemia and hyperglycemia in neonates with NE are associated with worse neurodevelopmental outcomes.
- Optimal glucose homeostasis and nutrition may be neuroprotective in NE.
- Impact of nutritional strategies on long-term neurodevelopmental outcomes of neonates with NE remain largely unknown.
- The incremental introduction of milk feeds during therapeutic hypothermia is safe and is associated with improved short-term out- comes in observational studies.
To view the full text and an associated presentation, become a NBS member here